Learn how to be a caller!
Saturday, December 3, 2016
At Dugan's home: 61 India St, Floor 3, Portland, Maine
Veggie chili, cornbread, and salad lunch included
$45 advance registration required
This is a class designed and taught by contra dance caller Dugan Murphy for contra dancers who have no (or very little) experience calling contras. If you've been contra dancing for a while and want to learn the magic behind the mic, this class is for you!
You'll learn lots.
- How traditional tunes and contra choreography sync up
- Methods for making dance cards to use as a caller
- Teaching a room full of people
- Managing a room full of people
- Comparing perspectives on best practices in fulfilling various aspects of the contra caller's role
And you'll be up to lots.
- How music and contra dancing fit together: what callers need to know
- Theory and best practices in teaching contra
- Practice prompting figures to music and giving feedback
- Making a dance card
- Vegan chili, cornbread, and salad lunch provided
- Practice teaching each other contra dances and giving feedback
- Brief overview of everything else expected of callers
And you'll take something home, too.
- A more robust understanding of the process behind the fun
- Confidence gained from live practice in teaching and calling contras to recorded music
- A CD of recorded contra dance music to practice prompting on your own
- Connections to the best online resources for learning more on your own
- Memories of a good time had with fellow contra dancers in a safe and welcome learning environment
- A belly full of veggie chili
Register now, 'cause it'll fill up fast.
Click "Add to cart" below and checkout. In order to provide a quality experience, Dugan caps the class size at nine participants.