Join us for our annual Halloween Contra Dance Party!
Beginner's lesson at 7:00 p.m.
Contra dancing from 7:30 'til 10 p.m.
10 bucks at the door
All ages, all people welcome!
Gender-free dance roles!
No partner needed!
New dancers encouraged to come! :)
Music this evening will be provided by Larry, Emily, and Eric. They are Larry Unger (guitar), Emily Troll (accordion, fiddle), and Eric Boodman (fiddle). Our caller is Sarah VanNorstrand from Syracuse, NY.
You're invited to wear a fun costume in celebration of Halloween! No problem if you come dressed as yourself. We'll also have festive decorations, candy, and other surprises.
Everyone in attendance will be invited to participate in the grand march at the middle of the evening. Afterward, prizes will be awarded for best costumes!
We're committed to a safe and welcoming dance environment for everybody - including you! So, keep this in mind when choosing your costuming:
- Don't dress as a culture not your own
- Don't darken your skin
- Don't wear masks that cover your face (it inhibits consent, as the folks dancing with you don't know who you are)
- Don't wear objectifying or hyper sexual costuming
- Don't perpetuate dangerous or offensive stereotypes (examples include "terrorist", "gangster", "undocumented immigrant", etc.)
- Don't dress in a way that is sexist or classist (examples include "hobo", dressing as a gender not your own to sexualize or mock, etc.)
Basically: Be respectful and have fun. :)
This video helps to demonstrate the nuances of what is and isn't ok. We recommend a viewing:
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING:
Enter through the courtyard.
State Street Church is located at 159 State Street. For directions, use Google Maps.
Parking is free after 6pm on street around the State Street/West End neighborhood. You may also park at The Fresh Approach Market or The Reiche School on Brackett Street. See the parking info and map. We recommend saving extra time, as it might take a bit to find a spot.
Oh, and be sure not to park in anyone's driveway. The church's neighbors own those driveways and are not able to share them with the public.